Deputy Director of Nursing
Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
9:00 AM Modernisation of Government Policy Implementation: Using Cross-Sectoral and Technology Innovations to Implement More Effective Frameworks
In its final report and recommendation, Ireland’s Taskforce on Safe Nurse Staffing and Skill Mix recommended that a national workforce plan and workload management IT system be introduced. A system like this would need to be capable of capturing all framework components and implement mechanisms for an effective grade mix of nurses and healthcare assistants.
In this highly interactive workshop, internationally recognised Philippa Withero will guide you on how Ireland’s Health Department worked alongside cross-sectoral groups to develop a successful and effective workforce planning framework, and ways this can be applied to an Australian context.
What will this workshop cover?
- The modernisation of government policy: testing different frameworks and technology to implement successful solutions
- How to apply ward and organisation-wide mechanisms to monitor the impact of safe nurse staffing frameworks on patient and nurse outcomes
- Understanding wide, macro level governance factors and the appropriate actions required from health boards and senior management for successful implementation
11:20 AM How Ireland’s Department of Health Implemented a Nurse Staffing and Skill Mix Framework that Saw an Improvement in Patient and Nurse Outcomes
In June 2016, the Department of Health convened a Cross-Sectoral Steering Group to develop a strategic framework for Ireland’s health workforce planning. This helped support the recruitment and retention of the right mix of health workers in order to meet planned and projected service need. The results were successful implementation of their Taskforce on Staffing and Skill Mix policy.
- Learn how Ireland’s Department of Health are implementing an effective, long term strategic framework to improve workforce stability
- Determine the approaches Ireland uses to improve patient and nurse outcomes through policy frameworks, which they tested in practice
- Create a sustainable health workforce and establish effective planning, education and training to reduce the need to recruit and train migrant health personnel